When it’s time to hit the library for a night (or day) of studying, make sure you have all of the essentials necessary to have a productive, painless and focused study session.
(Important note: This post contains affiliate links meaning that if you purchase an item through my link, I get a few cents! This will not affect the price you pay and you definitely aren’t required to purchase through these links but if you do, I thank you for supporting Endless May!)
The list of college supplies needed is sometimes overwhelmingly long. Not all of these things are needed for every college student so figure out which ones YOU need and use when you study and adjust accordingly.
- Index cards: I love using these for memorization purposes or to write short to-do lists on.
- Highlighters: Perfect for readings or going through your class notes.
- Notebooks: Here are my personal favorites that work well for me.
- Pens: These ones are my favorite. They write really well and after my boyfriend borrowed one from me, he never wanted to give it back!
- Graph Paper: I love using graph paper because I find that it structures my notes really well. It is also really helpful for studying mathematical concepts.
- Filler lined paper: This stuff is CHEAP. I love using it to answer questions on practice exams (and sometimes the occasional doodle too).
- Sticky notes: I am a huge sticky note fan. I especially love the long thin ones so I can easily mark important sections in my readings.
- Planner: Every college student needs a good planner. Kayla, from Kayla Blogs, has an awesome list of her favorite planners for college students. Personally, I love the Blue Sky planners from Target. They are cheap and have a lot of space to write!
- Noise cancelling headphones: These are awesome if you have a hard time studying with distractions around you (or you want to study and your roommate is loud). Usually these bad boys are super expensive (which to this college girl on a budget is a big NO THANKS!) but, I just found some great ones that are more affordable and have great reviews.
- Graphing calculator: If you are not currently in a math class, this isn’t necessary but there is nothing worse that getting to the library and realizing you left your calculator on your desk in your room.
- USB Drive: This is helpful if you need to transfer large files between computers.
- Extra long phone charger: If you aren’t studying near a plug but need to charge your phone, an extra long phone charger is a must have (not that you should have your phone while you are studying but let’s be real, sometimes you need an Instagram break).
Ahh now onto my favorite section, the feel good things. AKA the things that will make studying less painful and long!
- Snacks: Keep some good snacks on hand to keep up your energy levels. I personally love Luna Bars (the lemon flavor is my fave!) but other good snacks include apple slices, nuts or popcorn. Just make sure you aren’t snacking too loudly and that food is allowed inside your study space!
- Water bottle: This is something I definitely need to improve on carrying with me to the library. I have a hard time remembering to drink enough water but if I have a FULL water bottle on hand, then I am much more likely to drink from it.
- Cozy socks: Okay, you might laugh but cozy socks are what get me through late night studying. There is something about making my toes nice and toasty that warms my soul (plus, it’s just a fun excuse to buy some cute, fuzzy socks).
- A good, reusable coffee mug: I personally am not a caffeine drinker but for those who are, it is a good idea to invest in a nice, reusable coffee mug that you can carry with you to the library!
- Blanket or sweatshirt: I get cold really easily so I like having a blanket (yes, I know I am embarrassing) or sweatshirt on hand when I am studying.
What are your college study essentials?
Good luck and happy studying!